- President of Ukraine
President of Ukraine
The History of Presidency
- Presidential Administration
Head of Administration
- Press Office info
Press Office info
- Photo gallery
- Video gallery
- Virtual tour
Press office of President Viktor Yanukovych
Joint Statement of President Viktor Yanukovych and President of Brazil Dilma Rousseff
1. President of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych and President of the Federative Republic of Brazil Dilma Vana Russeff met in Brasilia on October 25, 2011 in the framework of state visit of the President of Ukraine to Brazil.
2. The Presidents reaffirmed strategic partnership between Ukraine and Brazil and stated in this regard their readiness to promote prosperity, progress and welfare of the peoples of both countries, following the provisions of the existing bilateral agreements. The two Presidents noted that the existing major joint achievement is the evidence of maturity of the Ukrainian-Brazilian relations and pledged to deepen mutual cooperation, in particular to promote cooperation in trade, space, education, energy sector, healthcare, and defense.
3. The Presidents agreed to intensify contacts on urgent issues of international agenda in order to contribute to building a more just and peaceful world order, strengthening multilateralism in the international politics, promoting democracy, human rights and fundamental freedoms, address threats and challenges together. In this regard, the Presidents gave instructions to Foreign Ministers of Ukraine and Brazil to maintain effective and regular dialogue on deepening strategic partnership between the two countries and on the subjects mentioned above.
4. Both Presidents confirmed the commitment to reform the United Nations, including its Security Council. President Viktor Yanukovych noted the considerable efforts of Brazil to strengthen international peace and stability, particularly during its non-permanent membership in the UN Security Council in 2010-2011. The Ukrainian President expressed Ukraine’s support for Brazil’s intentions to become a permanent member of an expanded Security Council. President Dilma Rousseff assured that Brazil would support the nomination of Ukraine during the election of non-permanent Security Council members for the period of 2016-2017.
5. President of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych confirmed Ukraine's adherence to the Open Government Partnership initiative, jointly launched by the Presidents of Brazil and the United States. The two Presidents stressed the importance of the initiative’s participants next meeting in Brazil in 2012.
6. The Presidents highlighted the importance of the commitments taken upon itself by the international community during the Kyiv Summit on Safe and Innovative Use of Nuclear Energy, held in April 2011.
7. President Viktor Yanukovych noted the importance of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio +20), to be held in the city of Rio de Janeiro in 2012 and aiming to discuss such themes, as green economy in the context of sustainable development and poverty eradication, and the institutional framework for sustainable development.
8. The Presidents positively assessed the current state of relations in trade and economic field, welcomed the restoration of growth in bilateral trade. The Heads of State recognized the existence of good prospects for growth of the Ukrainian-Brazilian trade, including the expansion of trade nomenclature, particularly through trading goods with high added value.
9. The Presidents welcomed the results of the Fifth Session of the Intergovernmental Commission on Trade and Economic Cooperation, held in September 2011 in Kyiv. They noted that the work of the existing mechanisms of bilateral cooperation, particularly of the abovementioned Intergovernmental Commission and the Subcommittee on Trade and Investment should be decisive on the way to expanding and diversifying the relations in the aforementioned areas. The Presidents gave an instruction to hold a regular meeting of the Subcommittee on Trade and Investment in the near future.
10. The Presidents supported the creation of the Ukrainian-Brazilian Advisory Committee on Agriculture. They also confirmed their agreement to use this and other mechanisms for continuing cooperation in the field of agricultural policy and research in this area, as well as cooperation in the area of sanitary, phytosanitary measures and protection of agricultural resources.
11. The Heads of State acknowledged progress in the development of joint space industry project Alcantara Cyclone Space and expressed confidence that the first launch of the Ukrainian carrier rocket Cyclone-4 from the Alcantara launch site will be successful. The Presidents reaffirmed their readiness to be present at that launch.
The two Presidents agreed to expand cooperation between Brazil and Ukraine in the exploration and peaceful use of outer space through implementing new joint projects.
12. Given the great potential of cooperation between the two countries and interest in strengthening their own scientific and technological capabilities, the Presidents supported the need to deepen joint bilateral cooperation, especially in high technology, and promote the transfer of scientific knowledge on mutually beneficial terms.
13. Both leaders expressed satisfaction with the positive experience of cooperation between the Ukrainian enterprise Indar and the Brazilian Fiocruz/ Farmanguinhos to supply insulin to Brazil and the transfer of its production technology. To this end, they gave orders to the Governments of both countries to take steps to begin production of the said medications in Brazil.
14. The President of Ukraine recognized the leading role of Brazil in the production of biofuels and expressed interest in using the Brazilian experience at Ukrainian specialized companies. Both Presidents instructed the relevant government authorities to conduct negotiations in the first half of 2012 to promote cooperation in this field.
15. Both leaders stressed great potential of cooperation in the area of peaceful use of nuclear energy, particularly in nuclear safety and regulation. In this regard, they welcomed the discussion of these topics in the framework of the Intergovernmental Commission on Trade and Economic Cooperation, and instructed the government authorities concerned to hold negotiations aiming to enhance cooperation in this field in the first half of 2012.
16. The Presidents noted positive prospects for intensifying cooperation between Ukrainian and Brazilian companies working in oil and gas sector, and agreed that the development of this cooperation will strengthen strategic partnership between the two countries.
17. The Presidents mentioned the fact that the 2012 European Football Championship will be held in Ukraine, and World Cup 2014 and the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be held in Brazil. It was agreed to intensify contacts between Ukrainian and Brazilian businesses to better use the opportunities presented by these sporting events of global importance. The Presidents also noted the importance of promoting sport as a fundamental instrument for peace, dialogue, cooperation, development, social inclusion, and combating all forms of discrimination.
18. The two Presidents noted that expanding the legal framework for military-technical cooperation creates a solid foundation for deepening mutually beneficial cooperation in this field and lies in the interests of both countries.
President Viktor Yanukovych said that Ukraine is ready to develop mutually beneficial cooperation with Brazil in the military-technical sphere.
19. The President of Ukraine expressed his appreciation for the support of the Government of Brazil for representatives of the Ukrainian community in Brazil. The Presidents welcomed the ongoing celebration of the 120th anniversary of the beginning of Ukrainian immigrants to Brazil and stressed the important contribution of the Ukrainian community to enriching the multinational Brazilian cultural heritage.
20. The Presidents noted with satisfaction the continued expansion of Ukrainian-Brazilian relations’ the legal base, particularly the signing of a number of bilateral documents during the visit of the Ukrainian President to Brazil.
21. President Viktor Yanukovych expressed his gratitude to President Dilma Rousseff for the warm and friendly welcome in Brazil, and invited the President of Brazil to visit Ukraine at a convenient time. President Dilma Rousseff accepted the invitation with pleasure and gratitude.