President Petro Poroshenko heard the report by security officials on the situation caused by the explosions at ammunition depots near Ichnia, Chernihiv region.
According to the Defense Minister of Ukraine, at 3:20 AM, October 9, three storage facilities of the arsenal were exploded simultaneously and in the next 20 minutes several others were exploded as well.
According to Stepan Poltorak, at the time of the explosion, the depots were filled by 50% - the most scarce and critical ammunition for the Armed Forces of Ukraine from the 6th military arsenal was previously relocated to other arsenals and bases with a protected type of storage. As of 3 PM, as a result of detonation, about 30% of the entire arsenal is on fire.
At present, measures are being taken to localize and extinguish the fire. To do this, 2 special fire tanks are already there. Three more tanks are expected to arrive in the near future.
"I did not plan this meeting and least of all I would like us to convene on such occasions. It is a shame that such stories, including the irresponsibility of certain individuals, cast a shadow on both the military leadership of the state and leadership of the special services, overshadow the diligent work of many people who have selflessly defended the Homeland in different locations over the past year," the President emphasized.
The Head of State expects operative but responsible results of the investigation of the extraordinary event.
"I want to emphasize separately that I am waiting for prompt results of the investigation. And very responsible," Petro Poroshenko said, speaking at the meeting with Chief Military Prosecutor of Ukraine Anatoliy Matios and First Deputy Head of the Security Service of Ukraine Vitaliy Malikov.
"Given the proximity to the Russian border, it is not a coincidence that the main version of the Security Service of Ukraine, the Military Prosecutor's Office is sabotage," the Supreme Commander-in-Chief noted.
"I am not trying to organize punishment for PR now. I understand that we inherited from the Soviet times a large number of ammunition and it is good that they have been preserved to this day. It's good that the defense ministers and merchants of the 90s and 2000s did not have enough time to sell them. But for today we unfortunately do not have any modern depots that would fully meet NATO standards," the Head of State said," the Head of State stressed.
“Not a single embezzler who allowed that with his negligence will be reinstated in a job,” the President underscored the need to bring those guilty in the accident to justice.
Petro Poroshenko said that all those who ensured the protection of the unit at night when explosions occurred should be checked. "We must fully and thoroughly study this experience today in order to prevent the repetition of the attack of the enemy’s sabotage and reconnaissance groups," he said.
"Following the results of the investigation, we must make proposals on bringing the perpetrators to justice," the President added.
According to the Security Service, three versions of the causes of an emergency are currently being considered. The main one is the subversion of the sabotage group, the second one is the violation of the rules of fire safety or storage of ammunition, and the third one is the deliberate arson or explosion in order to conceal the lack of ammunition.
The President paid special attention to the issue of providing all the necessary assistance to the evacuees from the surrounding villages and settlements, emphasizing the importance of protecting people.
The Head of the State Emergency Service reported to the Head of State that a population of 30 settlements in a 16-kilometer zone was evacuated. The local residents were given the necessary help, food provision was organized. Also, in these settlements, the security of critical infrastructure is organized, traffic is limited. Units of the State Emergency Service and special equipment were mobilized for localization of the consequences of the emergency situation.