President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy put into effect the decision of the National Security and Defense Council made on August 20, 2021 and approved the Strategic Defense Bulletin of Ukraine. Decree No. 473/2021 was signed by the Head of State on September 17.
The Strategic Defense Bulletin was developed on the basis of the National Security Strategy of Ukraine and the Military Security Strategy of Ukraine. Representatives of the Ministry of Defense, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, other defense force elements, representatives of central executive bodies, scientific institutions, and nongovernmental organizations took part in shaping the document. Foreign experts (advisors) were also involved, in particular the NATO Representation to our country.
The first part of the bulletin outlines the outcome of the defense reform, which was implemented during 2016-2020, and the main results of the defense review, during which the state and prospects for the development of the security environment were assessed and for the first time a description of the future security environment until 2030 was presented. The problems of functioning of the defense forces in the conditions of current and emerging threats are also outlined.
In the second part of the Strategic Defense Bulletin, the main directions of the implementation of the military policy of Ukraine, a promising model of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and other defense force elements and the requirements for its building, the main capabilities of the defense force that must be achieved are presented; the strategic goals of the development of the defense force for the period up to 2025, the main tasks and expected results of their achievement are indicated.
The essence of the Military Security Strategy of Ukraine is the comprehensive defense of the country, according to the document.
The military policy of Ukraine is implemented in the following main areas:
- ensuring the rebuff and deterrence of the armed aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine, the restoration of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of our country within the state border, the prevention of military conflicts with any foreign states;
- planning a comprehensive defense with the development of a defense plan of Ukraine, a strategic plan for the use of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, other components of the defense force, operational plans and plans for the use of defense force and means, and the like;
- securing the necessary institutional capabilities by the central executive authorities and other state bodies for the timely and organized conduct of mobilization, meeting the needs of the state's defense and protecting its territory from possible aggression, as well as effective management of defense resources;
- developing the capabilities of the defense force in the context of preparation for comprehensive defense of Ukraine, their all-round support;
- implementing the best practices, principles and standards of NATO member states in the defense force, participating in joint operations and drills to meet the criteria for membership in the Alliance with subsequent integration into Euro-Atlantic security institutions.
The Strategic Defense Bulletin of Ukraine sets out the goal and vision of the defense force of the 2030 model, according to which the defense force is united by a single leadership and consist of professionally trained and motivated personnel, equipped with modern weapons and military (special) equipment, capable of protecting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine, ready to conduct air, land, sea operations, countering media wars and wars in cyberspace, capable of acting asymmetrically, outside the box, being proactive and integrated into the Euro-Atlantic security architecture.
The document defines a promising model of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and other components of the defense force; key principles for organizing the command and control system, prospective composition, military personnel and military-technical policy of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and other components of the defense force; directions of development of operational, combat and special capabilities of the defense force.
The promising model of defense force will be achieved through the implementation of five strategic goals: 1) effective defense management and a system of joint leadership of defense forces and military command in the Armed Forces, carried out on the principles of democratic civilian control, other NATO principles and standards, 2) professional and motivated personnel defense forces, the trained military reserve is supported by effective transparent systems of personnel management, military education and science, health care and social protection; 3) modern weapons and military (special) equipment, ensuring the fulfillment of tasks by the Armed Forces of Ukraine, other components of the defense forces, in particular together with the relevant structures of the NATO member states, 4) developed military infrastructure, unified logistics and sufficient supplies inventory, an effective system of medical support that meets the needs of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, other components of the defense forces to repulse armed aggression against Ukraine; 5) integrated operational (combat and special) capabilities of the defense forces that provide for repulsing and countering armed aggression against Ukraine, hybrid threats.
Tasks and a list of activities are determined for each goal of the development of the defense force to achieve them. The activities and the necessary financial resources will be detailed in the State Target Program for the Development of the Armed Forces of Ukraine until 2026.
On the basis of the Strategic Defense Bulletin of Ukraine, state target programs and other planning documents and projects for the development of the capabilities of the defense forces will be shaped.
The implementation of the tasks and activities of the Strategic Defense Bulletin of Ukraine will be financed both by the state budget and other sources.