President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy commends the adoption of the law “On democracy through the nationwide referendum” (draft law № 3612) by the Verkhovna Rada.
This draft law was initiated by the Head of State and developed in accordance with the requirements of the Constitution of Ukraine for the legislative settlement of issues related to the holding of the nationwide referendum.
Volodymyr Zelenskyy noted that the adoption of the relevant law was one of the important points of his election campaign during the presidential elections, as the document makes the dialogue between the government and society clearer.
"Now Ukrainians will be involved in practice in making important decisions for the country, and the government will be forced to listen to the will of the people. The referendum is an important tool for expanding democracy in Ukraine," the President stressed.
It has been determined that the following issues cannot be the subject of the nationwide referendum:
1) those contrary to the provisions of the Constitution of Ukraine, generally recognized principles and norms of international law, enshrined primarily in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, protocols thereto;
2) those abolishing or restricting the constitutional rights and freedoms of man and citizen and guarantees of their realization;
3) those aimed at eliminating the independence of Ukraine, violating the state sovereignty, territorial integrity of Ukraine, creating a threat to the national security of Ukraine, inciting interethnic, racial, religious hatred;
4) those related to taxes, budget, amnesty;
5) those referred by the Constitution and laws of Ukraine to the jurisdiction of the law enforcement agencies, the prosecutor's office or the court.