As part of the school nutrition reform initiated by the First Lady of Ukraine Olena Zelenska, cooks are being trained at the culinary hubs of the School Chef's Training Hubs Development project.
Employees of vocational educational institutions in Kyiv, Lviv, Ternopil, Poltava, and Odesa regions attended the online theoretical course.
The training was attended by 65 cooks, and by the end of the year, 600 people will have completed the course. In the future, they will become coaches/teachers for school chefs.
"Modern equipment is being brought to the culinary hubs. We will gradually equip school kitchens across the country with the same equipment. Here, students will be taught to cook meals from the updated school menu and create their own," the President's wife noted.
The School Chef's Training Hubs Development project to create training centers for school catering chefs has been implemented since March as part of the school nutrition reform strategy initiated by First Lady Olena Zelenska with the support of Switzerland (through the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and the Embassy of Switzerland in Ukraine). The project involves the NGOs Cult Food and the National Association of Public Catering in cooperation with the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
The program of theoretical training for cooks in culinary hubs includes the following topics:
- general provisions and principles of school nutrition in Ukraine. Organization of catering in an educational institution;
- regulations on hygiene and sanitation in general secondary education institutions;
- implementation of the HACCP system;
- methods of catering organization. Three technological models, principles of their application;
- modern heat treatment technologies: steam convection technology;
- dietetics, nutrition, organics, and the use of spices;
- multifunctional culinary systems;
- principles of creating technological cards and menus for school catering in accordance with Resolution No. 305 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
"The school nutrition reform continues despite the war. Because despite the destruction, we create, develop, and improve. We are preparing the future," Olena Zelenska summarized.