Since July 27, 2020, when the agreement on the establishment of a full and comprehensive ceasefire in the Donbas came into force, the number of shelling occasions and deaths among the Ukrainian military in eastern Ukraine has halved, and the number of wounded has reduced more than thrice. This was emphasized by Press Secretary of the President of Ukraine Serhiy Nykyforov during a briefing on Tuesday.
"Today is the anniversary of the ceasefire. Many criticize this truce, calling it fake, but it is worth looking at the figures. Over the year before July 27, 2020, there were more than 4,000 shelling occasions, 88 dead and 500 wounded. Over the last year, from July 27, 2020 to the present day - 2 thousand shelling occasions, 45 dead, 150 wounded," he reported.
At the same time, Serhiy Nykyforov noted that Volodymyr Zelenskyy would like the daily reports from the frontline to include information on the absence of shelling, dead and wounded as soon as possible.
"The President, for his part, is doing everything possible for this. He has repeatedly said that he is ready to meet both in the Normandy format and face to face with the Russian President in order to stop the shooting in eastern Ukraine once and for all. Unfortunately, the Kremlin’s goal is obviously a little different. However, peace remains the top priority of the President of Ukraine," the Press Secretary of the President of Ukraine said.